Backpacking has never been so fun and easy! Hike through old growth Oregon forests and ramble along sub-alpine ridges in the scenic Mount Hood National Forest. Get the low-down from experienced Guide-Instructors on how to stay safe, warm and found while exploring back-country trails.
Whether you are just getting into backpacking, want to rediscover the new pleasures of a forgotten pastime, or just want an easy hike along a new trail with local guides, this is the trip for you. Small group size allows for more personal attention from guides and a wilder experience.
Take in the scenic wonders of the Cascade mountains while learning hands-on about the latest technologies and trends in backpacking equipment, safety and theory. We bring the gear, and you get to try it out in the field!
The Round Lake Trail is an excellent destination for an introduction to backpacking. A short hike in to the campsite makes learning how to camp easy in a beautiful backcountry setting. Hike just one mile to a rustic lake-side campsite in the heart of Oregon's Cascade Mountains.
- Trip Planning & Pre-Trip Info
- Free Gear Rental: Tent, stove, sleeping bag, sleep pad & backpack (if you need them)
- Meals (2 lunches, 1 dinner, 1 breakfast)
- Transportation to and from shop in a smooth-riding van
- Qualified Drivers and Experienced Guides
- The low-down on how to stay warm, safe and comfortable on the trail
- Natural Interpretation of flora, fauna, geology and local history
- Snacks and water treatment
- Big trees and bigger mountains
What you need to bring:
- Sturdy hiking shoes with synthetic or wool socks (2 sets)
- Hiking apparel (anything but cotton) (2 sets)
- Water (2 quart capacity) & - snacks if you have special dietary needs
- Sun and rain gear
- Headlamp/flashlight & batteries
- Lightweight mug and/or bowl
- Spoon or spork
- Personal hygiene and medications
- Your sense of awe and wonder
- Your trail essentials (see below)
Things you may want to bring:
- Trekking poles
- Notebook / sketchbook
- Field guide
- Backpacking chair
- Map & Compass
- Water & Extra Food
- Extra Clothing Layers & Rain Gear
- Sun Gear (sunglasses, sunblock, hat)
- First Aid Kit & personal meds
- Matches/lighter & firestarter
- Gear repair kit & Emergency survival kit
- Toilet paper in 2 plastic bags
Destination: Round Lake, Mt. Hood National Forest
Where we meet: Next Adventure 9:30 AM on July 18th, return to shop by 5:00 PM July 19th
Duration: 2 Days
Experience Necessary: No Previous Experience Neccessary
Equipment Provided: Next Adventure will provide transportation, snacks, and experienced guides that can answer questions about the flora, fauna, geology and local history of the trail.
1. Pick the Date and Time(if available) you would like to attend.
2. Enter the Height and Weight of each person attending in the 'Height & Weight' field.
*The Minimum age is 14. Minors must be accompanied by an adult.
3. Set the 'Quantity' to the number of people you are registering.
You must sign up online at least 24 hours in advance. If you wish to attend a class that is taking place in less than 48 hours, you must call to register.
Call 503-233-0706 and select the 1st option to reach our Outdoor Store.
Next Adventure Outdoor Store Hours: Mon-Fri 10am-7pm, Sat 11am-6pm, Sun 11am-5pm
Next Adventure is a fully-insured licensed Outfitter and Guide with the State of Oregon. Next Adventure is an equal opportunity Recreation Provider operating under special use permit on the Mt. Hood National Forest and Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area, USDA Forest Service. Next Adventure Guide-Instructors are locally trail-experienced, and carry current Wilderness First Response certification.